|Staff||Publications||Projects and contracts||Thesis|
Development and optimisation of low environmental impact processes for the purification and valorisation of by-products, effluents and discards generated by fisheries (Marine Biorefinery) and agro-food industries to obtain compounds and added value products. Mathematical modelling of bioprocesses and complex dose-response relationships. Bioremediation and application of cleaning agents in coastal oil spills
AREAS OF RESEARCH
- Recycling and waste valorisation (by-products and discards) and effluents from the fisheries industry and from transformation and processing of marine foods. Collecting of value added products such as jellies, cartilage, proteolytic enzymes, chondroitin-sulphate, bioactive peptides, hydroxyapatite, etc. Development of a Marine Biorefinery from wastes of marine origin.
- Microbial bioconversion and purification (production of biomass, primary and secondary metabolites) of new sources of protein (marine peptones) recovered from marine food industry waste.
- Microbiological treatment of oil spills (bioremediation) in marine environments. Application of dispersants and coast cleaning agents, in ecotoxicologically safe conditions, to eliminate oil adhered to rock faces.
- Mathematical, mechanistic and empirical modelling (factorial design) of bioprocesses (enzymatic, microbial, animal growth, kinetics of antioxidants, etc.) and complex dose-response relationships: interactions among several effectors, opposite effect responses: hormesis, dose-response dynamics.
- Microbial production of probiotics, bacteriocins, astaxanthin, hyaluronic acid, etc., in different operating procedures and culture techniques. Separation-purification stages of microbial metabolites optimisation.
- Waste and by-products valorisation from the agro-food industry (fractions of cereals, potato peeling, etc.) for the recovery of antioxidants, prebiotics, etc
Xosé Antón Vázquez Álvarez
Telf.: +34 986 231930 Ext. 860340