Monitoring and observation of the marine environment
The Observation and Monitoring of the Marine Environment unit (UMO), which broadens the former unit known as UMIMAG, was created to assist research groups with field sampling, particularly in those environments that require skilled staff (scientific scuba diving, species visual identification, etc.). Likewise, this unit aims to rigorously enforce the Occupational Hazard Prevention laws regarding diving activities. Furthermore, it offers an image acquisition and edition service for research, teaching and dissemination purposes.
Objectives & Tasks
The service supports IIM-CSIC research groups in the following areas:
- Sampling by scientific scuba diving, complying with regulations regarding diving activities.
- Flora and fauna sample collection in aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems.
- Underwater and terrestrial photography and filming.
- Preparation and edition of image archives for research and IIM staff training.
- Assistance with deployment and recovery of scientific instruments for ocean measuring and monitoring.
- Supervision of all diving activities and diving staff of the IIM-CSIC. This includes the management of diving material, diving licenses, staff files and diving trips for all IIM divers, complying with legal and institutional regulations. Maintenance of diving equipment.
- Organization of sampling campaigns and boat rental when needed.
- Coordination of collaborations with diving services at other national and international centers.
- Collaboration with the IIM's Aquarium service (SACUIM) in activities aiming to improve the welfare of experimental animals.